Sunday, January 18, 2009

Highlights from Hungary


I'm now sitting in a Burger King by Oktogon where I can get unlimited free internet for the price of a Whopper and a water bottle (which is about $5, in case you were wondering). I'm not buying anything next time.

Orientation came and went, more or less. It was fun and tiring at the same time, and I was really glad to move into my own flat. The strangest part, of course, will be living completely by myself, which I have never done nor had the desire to do, though the apartment is small enough that the lack of another human being is not really palpable yet. We'll see.

Unpacking didn't take very long, as I only brought two medium suitcases. This was awesome when I was still transient, but might be problematic, as I realized I only packed 8 long-sleeve light shirts, and spring starts at the beginning or March here. It's probably fine (the motto of Hungary, from what I'm told). Also, no one seems to know how to use my washer.

Burning questions answered/unanswered about Hungary:

"Is that a slice of mozzarella or lard in my sandwich?" (still not sure)

"Can you get a Liter-sized stein of beer for under $5 in Budapest?" (yep)

"Did they just refer to the coming ice storm by the name of a famous national pastry!?" (yes: 'THE BIG DOBOS TORTA IS COMING!!!')

"Is wi-fi amply available?" (nope)

"Did that elderly gentleman just run down from his booth 10 feet away just to help me put on my coat?" (chivalry is not dead in Hungary)

"'Szex Shop'? 'Szendvics'? Whaaaa?" (yes, I love Hungarian)


Hopefully, my apartment will have internet within the week, but I won't be surprised if I don't get hooked up till February. So, over and out, for a while.

1 comment:

Danny said...

SZENDVICS!!! I remember that!!
Haha I love hungarian.
also, i'm not at all surprised about that guy helping you with your coat.
hungarians are SO nice!!!

i love your blog and i love you!!