So today Budapest received its weekly ration of sunlight, which lasted for a good 6 hours. In fact, I didn't even need to turn my lights on when I came home from work, and simply let the blue and gold of the sunset seep through the diaphanous curtains. It's amazing what a little vitamin D can do for one's soul.
In fact, I reread a few of my earlier entries and it seemed to me that many of them could be construed as discontented or grumpy. This would be an inaccurate and unfair summary of my life in Hungary so far. Of course, the challenges of my job and knowing I won't see anyone I love back home for many more months-- those get me down. Lately in particular, and I suspect that the absence of sun is a strong factor in this. And yet, unfailingly, every day something amazing or interesting or funny happens to me, and I can't believe I am where I am, living out this part of my life. So, inspired by Lauren's "sunspots," I, too, have decided to put down the many things that make me smile:
My beautiful kids. I've said all the important things about them already, but just the feeling of looking forward to going into work, even though I want to throttle them most of the time (even my favorites -- especially my favorites), is an incredible feeling.
Teaching high school. This has been a curiously rewarding thing. Tonight, for example, I was busy grading my 12th graders' "hobbies and pass-times" quiz, and some of their responses were absolutely amazing. Berci's (one of my faves') definition of "to sew": "It's a woman's hobby!! She can sew a T-shirt." Trying to explain "to catch (fish, butterflies, etc)," he philosophically observes that "this hobby is for boring boys and girls. I don't like fishing, it is too long to catch one if you don't have luck." Too true, my friend. Of the same word, Kata said it means "the butterflies is fly and you catch with your hand." This last one reminded me of your kids, Hanna, and likewise melted the dreariness away. There were a lot of other good ones, but you get it. Too cute.
Hungarian interjections. If you hear me muttering "Oj joj" (pr. Oy-yoy) under my breath in exasperation when I come back to the States, don't be alarmed. Thank me, actually, because it's one hell of a useful expression. It's the rough equivalent to "oh dear," but also so much more. It can mean "Well, aren't you fancy!" and "Chase me around the room!" and "Really!?". There is also "HAH-hoh!", which translates to the American "HELLO!", when one is trying to get one's attention. "Chah" is also a good one, and signifies a casual form of greeting between close/familiar people.
Princess. This is a pastry chain (as ubiquitous as Dunkins back home), and you'll be hard-pressed not to find one at every metro stop. If you must know anything about me, know that I have an unbridled, irrational passion for pastries. If ever found in an extreme enough situation, I would kill for a fresh-baked croissant. Luckily, the Hungarians feel the same way and have been magnificently cooperative.
There are many more things I enjoy, and want to dedicate whole entries to, so you'll have to wait and see. For now though, enjoy the sunshine and warmth, which seem to be bestowing their presence across the globe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Awww even your high schoolers are cute. Hungarians aren't all that grumpy in the end...
Post a Comment