So I've been trying to run on a set schedule lately, and I have even managed keep it up on a weekly basis, more less, which is kind of incredible. I've always despised running. I thought it was the stupidest form of exercise imaginable. And yet, here, in Budapest, I have been able to maintain some kind of regimen, mainly because I have nothing else to do other than stay in and read. Also, the weather lately has been consistently magnificent, almost on par with San Francisco. Cloudless sunny skies, mid-70s, a caressing river breeze. Daily weather perfection. To stay indoors would be a sin. And so... I run.
My usual route takes me out of my house, across the Chain Bridge, up and around the busy rotary, up the hill to the Castle District, then through the Gate to Vienna down the other side. I could sit and marvel at the panorama at the top of the hill for hours, but I make myself run back home. Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly disinclined to keep running, I stop by the herbal garden between the Fisherman's Bastion and the Funicular, and stoop down to figure out the herbs, and rub their leaves between my hands. When I get home, I can still smell the verbena and lavender on my fingertips.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think the problem with running, psychologically, is that it's the worst part of all the other sports. Think about it. Soccer? Great! Kick a ball, woo-hoo and shit. Oh but now you want to run all around? Forget it, never mind. That's why I like swimming, skiing, volleyball, and karate. Run-less sports for the active fatty =).
Post a Comment