Friday, June 19, 2009

Thanks, med school, now I have a ten years' supply of shower gel!

In Hungary there is a rather delightful tradition of bestowing gifts upon teachers and doctors at the end of the year. Luckily for me, I fall into one of those categories, I'll let you sort out which one (and yes, I have legally changed my name to Dr. Acula). Yesterday I was absolutely SHOWERED with gifts after the Kindergarten farewell party; I'm fairly certain I received my weight in chocolate, bath items, and florals. My high school colleagues were also very nice, took me out for delicious ice cream, and gave me a gorgeous book about Hungary. Pictorial below.



Also, I nearly did cry at this card, given to me by Gerzson (one of the kissing machines from a previous entry). He wrote it himself, dear heart, and gave everyone little mechanical hedgehogs, which are his spirit animal. He even kind of looks like a hedgehog.



I know that I shouldn't feel such satisfaction from receiving unnecessary earthly possessions, but I seriously felt warm and fuzzy all day yesterday. Just for funsies, below are teachers Aniko, Tim, and Greta, and my faves, Dori and Gerzsi:



I have also been slowly coming to terms with the fact that exactly a week from now I will be on a plane bound for Latvia. All the crap on my walls will be gone, my clothes will be rolled up safely (good God, please, safely) in the belly of a majestic Boeing 737, and my little apartment, so cheerful, yellow, and cozy, will be emptied and ready for Lisa to move in. I was so anxious to leave Hungary behind a few days ago, but now, I'm nauseous just at the thought of leaving. Ah, the double-edged scimitar of goodbyes!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

LOVE the good bye card. If you need help with all that chocolate...you know who to call.

Just kidding, I could never steal chocolate from a vampire.

Remus Thirty said...

Dr. Acula is one of my all-time favorite jokes.