
Today I ate 500 grams of red currants. The red currant, according to the internet, is a "powerhouse berry," and can basically bring back the dead. A box of red currants back in the states would probably be no less than $4. Here, I bought one for less than $1. I'm really going to miss crap like that.
I've been slowly packing up my stuff-- slowly, because I watched the entire Dune miniseries online... and yes, the lab results came back and James McAvoy is still a stone cold fox... I know you were all languishing in wait-- and it all seems surreal. I don't think it fully hit me just how much I'm going to miss my life here. I know I complained a lot, but there are so many things I appreciate about living here. $1 magical berries, for one.
2. living in the city: I love waking up in the morning to the bustling of a million different things. I love noticing a cool new building I've never seen before. I love discovering little grocery stores, parks, and statues in my neighborhood. It breathes life into everything I do.
3. my little apartment: I do get sad living alone, but it's so nice not to worry about the dishes every day, or sweeping the floor, or showering with the lights on just because society dictates I should. Yes. I'm coming out, right here and right now, on my blog. I'm a dark-showerer. It brings me internal peace. Chew on THAT.
4. not understanding people: strangely, I've gotten accustomed to being unable to understand anyone on the street. after a while, peripheral conversations started to become white-noise, and there's a tranquility in that. also, i'm proud to say that i have picked up some Hungarian, and trying to use it every day is a big challenge that I will really miss.
4. my colleagues calling me "Genaro-Genaro": It's apparently a minor character in Lethal Weapon and sounds a lot like Jenny. Don't ask. I didn't. I met some incredible folks at the kindergarten (and at the high school, too!), who, beyond being wise, kind, funny, interesting people, are also just plain awesome to hang out with. I wish I had more time to build richer friendships with all of them.
5. you're all sick of this by now, I know, but MY KIDS: I had my goodbye cake at the kindergarten yesterday, and as per tradition, they all sang my favorite song,"There's a little wheel a-turnin' in my heart," which NATURALLY made me weep because it's so cute and poignant all by itself. Add amazing kids singing it into the mix, and I'm inconsolable.
Suddenly, as I was crying, I felt a dozen tiny hands and warm little heads petting me and comforting me, telling me not to cry. I mean, jeez, I'M ONLY HUMAN!!!! Yes, I did melt into a puddle on the spot.
I don't mean to idealize this place, as that would be hard to do, but even with the horrible bureaucracy, lack of proper vegetables, the surliness, homogeneity, and prejudices that many Hungarian people carry around, it's still a brilliant, beautiful place, full of brilliant beautiful people. And I am so freakin' lucky to have had this experience.
With that said... RIGA IN TWO DAYS!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment